Fast Pitch Softball Forum - Fastpitch Softball  

Go Back   Fast Pitch Softball Forum - Fastpitch Softball > Fastpitch Forums > The Softball Swing Clinic - Fastpitch Softball Hitting

The Softball Swing Clinic - Fastpitch Softball Hitting Post here for help with your swing mechanics. This is the place for all your batting practice videos.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:46 PM   #1
JBlalock

Default 9 year old daughter batting

Would like some feedback on my daughter's swing, please. Have had a couple of coaches trying to change her to almost a chopping swing. This video is several months old.

http://youtu.be/HuzM4jn2hQw
JBlalock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:22 PM   #2
CYCLONES_COACH
Administrator

Same video as linked above.

CYCLONES_COACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:36 PM   #3
CYCLONES_COACH
Administrator

Just a thing or two I see and it's kinda hard to tell from the angle but it looks like she is extending her arms really early in the swing and taking away from the power position (point of contact). Kinda swinging all arms. But it does look like she has a very good foundation to work with so it's just gonna take a little time.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:04 PM   #4
Ted Binkley

Thanks coach. Yea this was her early swing we started by teaching her to hinge at first from the shoulder with the bat and use her weight in a forward rotating motion. once she got this down and was seeing the ball hit the bat we then moved her hands back in closer to her ear and that added more bat speed and also got us able to get closer to the plate but she just isnt spinning or throwing the bat at the ball she is seeing it adjusting to it and exploding thru it. I also would like to add we have quit 3 teams in the last 2 months because they have told me that this is not the way to swing. Me and this girl learned to swing in my shop at home together and we both are absolutely killing the ball now so there is no way anyone is going to change what we are doing we will just not play I guess until I find a coach that is behind me on this. Breaks my heart because she loves to play and was a cleanup batter and first basemen for a travel baseball team that came 2nd in the state in the fall. All I can say is they loved her swing and tried to get the boys to mimic her swing.

Last edited by Ted Binkley; 01-08-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Ted Binkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:10 PM   #5
Ted Binkley

If I get a chance I will post one of her now because you can clearly see her forward motion and hands inside not extending to soon on how she is doing it now. plus we go to practice and she crushes the ball until the coaches start messing with her swing. for some reason these softball people are stuck on swinging down at the ball and once there hands get in front of their body all they can do is roll thru it and spin like a top generating no power, no extension and a painful swing with what I am calling a herky jerky follow thru. I feel the swing should be natural just let your bodies joints and muscles work the way their intended too. Everywhere we go people rush out and buy her bat makes me laugh its not the bat it's the technique. We swapped to an aluminum bat just to make that point and last team we tried out with one of the mom's went out and bought the same bat we had and came to practice saying I just don"t know why but my daughter just does'nt like that bat. It deeply hurts me to see how many truly gifted girls are being taught the wrong stuff.

Last edited by Ted Binkley; 01-08-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:27 PM   #6
CYCLONES_COACH
Administrator

Yup, it happens. I have always been one to say if it ain't broke dont fix it. If a kid can hit then let them hit. The only exception to this I found was there are some things in a swing that if not corrected now, won't hurt now but later on in older divisions. I have also seen people get their DD's so focused on the proper mechanics at the plate that the last thing on their mind is hitting the ball. They are literaly going through so many steps in their head...not to mention mom and dad reminding them every 5 seconds while they're up there.. hitting to ball slips out of their mind. It looks to me even from the older video that the kid has a solid coachable swing. Just needs a little tuning and rotation work but they will put that kind of work in their entire softball career if they are serious.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:47 PM   #7
Ted Binkley

This one is my oldest so she had played for a while before I knew any better so we had to break some bad habits. I should post my 4 year old on here. He has never played so has just been taught what we have learned and he scares me I definately stay behind the screen when I pitch to him. But yea for some of the baseball people that might read these the shelbyville team that won state had 2 unionville kids that were putting the ball over the fence that was my handywork. And it hurts that I am not even trying to make money off of it. I am just simply trying to spread knowledge for the kids and the benefit of the sport itself and I am being met with such opposition.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:07 PM   #8
JBlalock

Here is a more recent video. Still working at it.

http://youtu.be/5pa3DgDgF58
JBlalock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:53 PM   #9
casedawg51
Super Moderator

That looks pretty dang good. Would like to see a little more drive off the back foot instead of just a spin. Drive off the ball of the back foot should drive the back hip forward instead of the other way around. Looks like she is spinning her hips and that is turning her foot and bringing the heel up. It puts a little bit of forward lateral move before the rotational turn. Kind of hard to explain but it is a sequence thing. Hips then hands, creates a stretch and will increase power. It is a quick thing though, over emphasizing it can make it jerky. She isn't far off at all. Good job to you and her.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:07 PM   #10
Ted Binkley

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlalock View Post
Here is a more recent video.
http://youtu.be/5pa3DgDgF58
Still working at it. I know she is dropping her hands we are working on it one step at a time. I am using her right now as a test to see how long it takes to teach a good swing to little kids so far we are at 3 months.